»

Monday 20 May 2013

31 Weeks

We had an appointment with our OB a few days ago to check on cervix length and our baby boy's growth. Happy to report that everything looked good, my cervix is still closed and bub is healthy and strong. Still looking like his daddy and sleeping with his hands around his face.


My bump is still sitting quite high and has definitely grown this week. Only going to get bigger over the next couple of months!



How far along: 31 weeks
How big is baby: Size of a pineapple (42cm from head to toe)
Total weight gain/loss: + 1.5kg
Stretch marks: None (moisturizing my belly, hips and tatas every night before bed)
Maternity clothes:  Most days I get away with wearing pre-pregnancy dresses with stretch but definitely finding my maternity leggings and skirts more comfortable
Wedding rings on/off: On
Linea nigra: No sign of it yet
Sleep: Broken. I get a couple of hours then wake up to use the bathroom. And repeat.
Food cravings or aversions: None
Gender: BOY!
Movement:  Lots, as per usual. Just when I think he's running out of room, he pushes out and makes more for himself!
Belly button: Out... but only just
Exercise:  James and I took Pepper for a walk on the beach on the weekend and within minutes I felt like I'd run a marathon. That was after taking about 10 steps. So yeah no actual exercise for me, besides the frequent bathroom trips and walks from the couch to kitchen.
Diet:  Heartburn and reflux is back so I'm eating smaller size meals and mostly soup these days
What I'm loving:  Seeing the nursery come together. The walls are painted, the furniture is in, just need to put the finishing touches on it.
What I'm not loving:  Not being able to get a full night's sleep. I've been feeling exhausted easily and without doing much of anything lately. Oh, besides growing an acrobatic baby boy...
What I miss:  Having the energy to put one foot in front of the other
Sickness and symptoms:  An update on my arm. It's been more than 2 weeks since the botched blood test for gestational diabetes screening and my arm is finally on the mend. The muscle spasms, nerve twitches and bruising are going away slowly but surely, and best of all I have no out of pocket expenses as pathology are covering all of my costs. As they should! I'm just thankful there's no permanent damage and our baby boy was unaffected by his mama's dramas.
Notes:  We found out at our OB appointment on Thursday that based on gestation and his measurements, our little man is on the small size. This could be for a number of reasons: our date of conception is incorrect, or he's just going to take after his parents and be a wee one. Either way, it's not a worry as he's still growing consistently every week and has no shortage of energy (that makes one of us!). As long as he continues to gain weight with each appointment, there's no cause for concern. But it probably means a later due date, so he should be arriving around the end of July.

Weekly Guide to Pregnancy: Week 31

Weekly Guide to Pregnancy

Your Baby




How big is my baby?

Fetal size: 42cm total length
Fetal weight: 1.5kg

The eyes are now fully formed and the eyelids have separated, allowing your baby's eyes to open. Once the eyes are open, your baby will start to see and focus (within a limited range).

Your baby now has a fully developed breathing rhythm and his lungs begin to prepare for breathing air in the outside world. Sucking and swallowing skills continue to develop in preparation for feeding. Your baby passes about half a litre of urine into the amniotic fluid each day.
The lanugo (body hair) is continuing to shed, although babies born prematurely may still have some of this at birth. Bones are busy hardening and preparing to support his body after birth. The adrenal glands, which produce those important hormones called steroids, have doubled in size over the last 10 weeks. Steroids are responsible for the growth and development of sex organs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment